Dele - Tucson, Arizona

This I believe. I’m a proud member of the Human Race. The only race that boasts of members from Africa, America, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Caribbean, Middle East, and the Pacific Islands. Universal brotherhood of man is my agenda. I cement the fractured world, and build bridges among cultures. I don’t care about people’s colors, but about their characters. I am not about religions, but the good that people do with their faiths. I don’t worry about nationalities, but I care about humanity. Class has no place in my race, but charity does. I don’t bother about bank accounts, but I care about accountability.

I’m a Christian. I have Muslim neighbors, and we respect one another. I’m part of the race where Kabala practitioners, Shinto enthusiasts, Bahai devotees, Sikhs, Scientologists, Taoists, Zoroastrians, and Unitarians agree that people deserve compassion from people. My race wants harmony between all of mankind. It requires all men, women, and children to tolerate and treat one another with respect. “People” is my creed, and “Tolerance” is my agenda. The world is my constituency, as I hate limiting my horizons. The human race is the only racial union where people don’t get into trouble with the court of public opinion. If you must be a racist join the human race; lose nothing, but prejudice. Hate hatred if you must hate; discriminate against discrimination if you have to discriminate; be prejudiced against prejudice if you are prejudiced; and direct your entire stereotyping against stereotypes if you choose to typecast. Then, you may hate all you want, discriminate as you like, be prejudice as you wish, and stereotype at your pleasure.

The world would be beautiful if whites confront whites about prejudice, and people of color challenge vindictive folks among them. The earth would be a wonderful place if real Christians halt the stereotypes among them, and authentic Muslims speak up against those who kill in the name of God. The world would lose its spirit, body, and soul to evil if fine men, women, and children keep mute when it matters. In the course of human history, there have been three categories of men and women – those who were against evil and did something about it; those who were against evil but did nothing about it; and those who embraced evil and advanced its cause. Where do you stand? Together, we can create mutual respect amongst races, faiths, cultures, and groups.

Unfortunately, intolerance is the harsh reality of our time. Many accept bigotry as the norm. Ignoring prejudice is certainly not a shrewd option. It amounts to bequeathing a bitterly divided world to our offspring. It is the responsibility of every compassionate person to start building bridges and smoothing sharp edges between cultures and groups. The conscientious among us owe posterity the debt of remaking the world. We could only shirk this obligation to the peril of our children and the generations after them.

By the way, Dele Ajaja is my name. I wrote the first letter from a black man to the KKK, requesting that we TEAR DOWN THE IRON CURTAINS that separate us; so our children could live together happily ever thereafter. Bequeathing a bitterly divided world to the coming generations of mankind is not a shrewd option. This I believe.