The Modern America

Daniel - Quincy, Massachusetts

Not too long ago I found myself in the concrete jungle at the heart of New York City. As I stood on the filthy sidewalk and peered up at the tall buildings that shadowed me, I listened to the traffic noise, which was all seemingly endless. Amid the scent of pollution that filled my nostrils and the scurry going on around me, I imagined a world existing long ago before the existence of large cities. And I wondered if this was the intention of the early American farmers who laid the foundations for this country.

I believe Americans are moving backward, no longer looking to pave the way for future generations, but much rather concerned with living their daily lives.

If you look at the landscape that was, the forest was really the backbone of the New World. The countryside was covered with farms and trees that were virtually untouched. Houses were built with the intention to last for generations, and so was the intention for everything people made. Where there were roads, they were incorporated in harmony with the environment, with minimal changes. The use of machinery has also changed. Cars are present everywhere you go, factories run on electronic conveyor belts, and almost every source of entertainment runs on energy; we have become completely dependent on technology and artificial labor.

Whatever happened to being strongly independent and being able to live off the land?

In this day and age, our American culture perceives the landscape differently and has progressed in an unhealthy way. The farms that once covered the countryside have been replaced with tightly developed housing communities and overtaken by big buildings. The once copious trees and forests in this country have dissipated into cities and industrial plants. Also, the art of walking to a destination has been lost in the bustle of society.

Now there is an answer for everything, and it’s all about saving time. We no longer have the same enthusiasm or the permanence that once was in the heart and soul of every American. It seems as if we have lost sight of our past and lost the ability to look forward into the future. My hope is that someday soon people will realize the potential ramifications of what they are doing and make lifestyle changes to better the world for future generations.