A need for justice at all levels

Ron - Hamilton, New York
Themes: injustice

I believe in justice at all levels. That is why I have , for years, been invoved with several environmental, peace and justice organizations , for insects, amphibians, trees, the land, mammals and people, locally and globally. That is why I have not let go of a dispute with my former employer, Colgate University, for the past year over my wrongful termination after 20 years of service. Sexual harassment was alleged, supposedly by a temporary, one year creative writing fellow (very creative). Her own colleagues considered her to be “crazy and dangerous”. Was this a career advancement scheme on her part?….. but we were friends. I believe she was manipulated by certain administrators using her and a formal claim as a pretext to have me discharged, as have other long time employees have been in my dept. They were salaried but I was a wage earner with the SEIU union and thus had recourse to a grievance procedure which I of course engaged in, had faith in.

So I fight for justice and my reputation with the tenacity and dedication as though fighting for the habitat of an endangered species, a gut reaction to the abuse of power and authority, to corruption and vindictiveness. And then there is the disheartening thought that I had been working for a purportedly elite and enlightened institution. After scheduled arbitration was suddenly and suspiciously withdrawn and a secret deal made between the university and union “to save money”, without my consent or agreement, I took it to the National Labor Relations Board. They are dismissive, but what do they know or care?.

Does it matter? Sure. I need my record clear so I can move on to more meaningful pursuits, maybe the Peace Corps maybe volunteering for the Obama campaign, maybe youth mentoring. Everything deserves to be set right even in my little world, my own situation in my community. Then back on track to all the others.