The Tough-love Girl

Shelby - Harlingen, Texas
Themes: setbacks

I believe in speaking my mind. I believe that everyone has a right to tell it like it is. Honestly, once in a while everyone needs a good awaking slap in the face.

I haven’t always been so blunt and I know how it feels to be the victim of truth. I’ve been in that situation before; when someone tells you what you particularly do not want to hear.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been known as a rough and tough girl, participating in most sports, until just recently. I’m a cross-country runner, who could easily run more than ten miles a week-until this past season. I have knee problems; my kneecap tends to separate from the joint, which stretches out the ligaments and makes my knee swell, a problem that began developing the season before that. I was told by a doctor that if I continued running with my team that I would end up seeing him again soon to schedule a date for my surgery. I had to cool it, which meant no more cross-country.

I was bummed and I didn’t want to accept what I was just told. At a very young age I was in serious danger of severely hurting my knee and I was trying to avoid the truth of it.

I didn’t realize it until recently, but I needed someone to be that honest with me.

Accepting his “slap in the face” hurt, but with the freedom of speaking your mind also comes the responsibility of translating his awaking punch into something productive; and with that I realized that I’m destined for something greater than the long miles I would run and my reputation as the tough girl.

Without my run-in with the doctor and hearing what I was told, I would probably be in bed rest right now instead of speaking here.

And with my new outlook upon life, I’ve decided that I should be blunt and I should say what needs to be said. I’ve gone from being the tough girl to the tough-love girl. I feel that my words should help and transform.

I have to speak up and tell it like it is, for the stubborn people who need a good awaking slap in the face. This I believe.