As Simple As Cake

Kristina - South San Francisco, California

I believe that life is meant to be simple. There’s no real need to stress over hyperbola problems and clinging lovers. There’s no real need for seriously deep philosophies too. Just ease back and listen to the sound of waves as you ride the road of life.

It’s as easy as pie, right?

I prefer cake though, so life is as simple as cake!

With that, I created my own philosophy on life. My philosophy is that life’s purpose is similar to a cake’s, and here’s the story:

The parents are the bakers. They put the ingredients together to make their cake; the cake mix, the eggs, the oil, the milk, and the water all put into one big mixing bowl. The batter is then whipped up and transferred into a baking pan – which goes into the oven. For the technical folks, the oven could be thought of as mom’s womb.

After a period of time, the oven opens again, and the batter has baked into a simple cake – crisp, firm top and a warm, spongy inside. Laid out on a platter, the bakes, and their friends come to decorate the cake with simple icing. The simple icing represent the lessons taught to humans as children – respect, manners, right and wrong, etc. Once the cake has been decorated, it is transferred to a prettier platter and laid out with other cakes.

As it sits there, brushing against other cakes, and being cut up into small pieces, it gives it own unique piece to others – intentionally or not. The longer it sits there – in a similar sense, as “time goes by” – it eventually reduces to nothing but crumbs and conceptually “die”; the only essence left of the cake are within the mix of the others whom shared its pieces.

The end.

I believe that the true purpose of life is to influence others. Using the cake theory, to spread your crumbs and share your pieces is the most fulfilling gift you could give. Opinion is driven by influence; without opinion every human would be the same, and life would be boring.

As the cakes sit there, they meet other cakes around – similar to childhood friends. The cakes lose some of their original icing and get mixed with others because they begin to learn of others’ perspectives and adapt it into themselves – creating a new identity.

I forgot how the cake ends up in crumbs in the end. It was worked out perfectly way back when I first thought of this theory, but it ebbed away over time. Nevertheless, it is a simple theory – no exceptions, “what if’s”, and back door ways. It’s what anyone at any age could understand, and hopefully it’ll stay that way.

The true purpose of life is to help out others by being you; spreading those crumbs and sharing those pieces. To influence others is a favor to shape their own unique identity with the flavor of your cake.

This, I believe.