Spanish Should be Spoken at Home

Gina - Hillsboro, Oregon

My dad had a rule, no English at home. He said that the worst thing I could ever do is forget my own language. Speaking Spanish well is something my dad has always been very serious about. Sometimes I would forget about the rule and speak English at home. It wasn’t until I would look at my dad’s face. It was like if I had just committed a horrible sin and his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

You might think my father was overreacting a little. I did too at first. I would purposely talk as much English as I could behind his back at home, just to prove that I could get away with it. One day I was trying to have a conversation with my mom, who doesn’t speak English. I had all the words in my head in English but I just couldn’t get them to come out in Spanish. I tried explaining my self but I couldn’t, I just gave up. That’s when I realized that my dad had a point.

I have to say that my dad has influenced me a lot. I too see the importance of speaking Spanish. It is nice to have something that no one else can take away from you, and can be shared with others. Something that can help connect you with the neighbors next door, or your grandmother who lives out of the country. My family doesn’t have any special family heirlooms that have been passed on generation to generation, but we do have our culture and traditions.

I believe that no one should be embarrassed of who they are. Everyone is different but worth just as much. I believe that it is important to always speak the language of your ancestors. Culture and tradition is something beautiful that should be embraced and passed on. This is why I believe that Spanish should be spoken at home.