Promising Hope’s for the Future

Amanda - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: hope

My dad has made empty promises and most of my past boyfriends have as well. Most said cliché things about never hurting me and always being with me. I was stupid enough to believe them, until a prettier girl walked in to the room and off he went. After so many lies and let downs, that’s all my life seemed to be. Promise after promise; heartbreak after heartbreak.

Up until recently, I let a lot of my life be dominated by the resentment of the broken promises I had experienced. However, not too long ago I realized that these let downs I have endured for so long are not the bad things I thought them to be. I was struck with an unforgettable life lesson that a promise is nothing but a hope for the future, and just as hopes change and fall, so do promises.

All you can do is hope for the future and that something will happen. No one can know exactly how their life is going to be, and therefore no one can truly tell another person what they promise, although we may try. I have even made promises that I broke and although I regret breaking them, sometimes it couldn’t be helped. I’ve promised friends that I would always be there to listen, until they called on the busiest night of the week. I promised my nephew I would play video games with him, but a phone call from a friend who wanted to hang out changed my mind.

Sure that may sound sad and you may still believe that broken promises are bad things, but at least when the promise was made, the person was hoping for the future to hold something good. When my dad made the promises that I thought of as empty, he meant well. He wanted to give me something to look forward to and it wasn’t his fault that it didn’t play out right. When my previous boyfriends made promises about our future together, they were simply letting me know what they hoped our future to be like. They weren’t aware that their hopes would change. When I make promises to my friends and family, I am not breaking them to be deceitful, its just that my future and my plans can change in a split second. The simple fact that someone is making a promise to me about something we will do in the future or about how we will be together in the future should be taken as something good rather than bad when the promise is broken. If a person is taking the time to promise me something, it means that is what they hope to happen, and being a part of someone’s hope, even if their hope fails, is inspiring.