Family Matters

Carl - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe that family is the most important and one of the only

things that should be hold dear in this life. Family is always there when you need them, no matter what. Whether you’re sick, upset, frustrated, angry, or any other emotion, they are there to help. I am extremely close to my parents, but unfortunately not as close to my sister as I should be. I am much closer with my mother; my mom is almost like my best friend. I can tell her anything and everything. Usually when she gets home she asks how school was and what the latest gossip is, to which I usually reply “school was good and their isn’t any gossip”. This is great and allows me to be able to talk easily with her, no matter how difficult or uncomfortable the topic is. My dad is always there when I need homework help or just need an older influence; he pushes me to excel in school and at my job. My parents are never more supportive than when it comes to school and college. I am currently working on finding the right college and my parents are there right along helping me and doing research, going to college planning seminars, and saving money. While sitting at home one day, my mom came home and had actually taken time out of her work to research colleges and tuition prices. This was great; it showed that my parents are supporting me on any venture I take on. My parents have even gone so far as to get information on other schools for me. It’s great to know that they want to help me in what is considered the biggest decision in life. Family is not only great for helping with decisions but also when you’re upset. I had never lost a pet before my first guinea pig died. Her name was Gizmo, she was the best pet anyone could ask for, always sat with me, even when I was sick, and it was almost like she knew I was sick. She is defiantly the most unique pig we have ever had. Their cage at the time was on the ground and she could get out and run in our living room, and when she knew it was time for treats she would scramble across the wood floor, which she had no traction on and sit at the fridge and stamp her foot till someone fed her. She was just the best all around pet I could ask for, when she died over night and my parents woke me up to tell me she had died. They were there in the morning to help and console me, and just all around ready to help out. They buried her in the backyard and she won’t be forgotten. Family is the best thing that there is in life and it should be cherished. Too many people take their parents and family for granted and treat them with disrespect, but when you’re down and out and need help, your family is the first people that will help you. Too many people don’t understand the power of family and underestimate it. This I believe.