I believe In Sacrifice

Jeremy - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe in the power of sacrifice. I believe that in life we all make sacrifices to better the lives of those around us. These sacrifices are some of the greatest gifts that we can receive. Most of us live not knowing what kinds of sacrifices others have made for us, so that we may live better lives.

My father sacrificed his time and the things that he really enjoyed so that he could work to pay for our house, our cars and our hospital bills. He also gave up a career advancement so that we would not have to move again and he could be home more often. As a small child I took what I had for granted, now I try as best I can to make his sacrifice worth as much as it possibly could. I myself have made sacrifices to help others, giving up my time and my sleep so that I could help others.

When I go to bed at night I always have my phone on and near my bed, just in case I may receive a call in the middle of the night from someone who needs my help. One night, I woke up to my phone ringing, it was my friend. She needed someone to talk to, someone to help her, and so I did. I talked to her, giving her the help and advise that she so desperately needed. I wasn’t thinking of the huge test I had to take in the morning, or that I had just fallen asleep after hours of restlessness. None of that mattered; it was all a sacrifice I was willing to make. After I had helped her through her troubles I went to school the next morning, tired and groggy, yet satisfied, knowing that I had impacted someone’s life positively. Two years later after I had forgotten about that night, she called me again and told me that I had saved her life that night and that the advice I had given to her had helped her turn her life around and helped her see the bigger picture. After she told me that I realized that we all can give things up so that we can help others and better ourselves in the process.

We all must learn to be humble and sacrifice for others. Small sacrifices such as a few hours of sleep can change someone’s life. I believe the power of sacrifice changes people’s lives, no matter how small. Whether it is giving up your lunch money to a person who has none, or giving up your free time to volunteer, sacrifices make other’s lives better. This I believe.