One Time, For a Lifetime

Miranda - Cedar Springs, Michigan

I believe that marriage is for a lifetime. I believe that marriage is about a man and a woman becoming one, in a union that lasts until death. Marriage is supposed to be a one-time and one time only union.

I am getting married in the summer of 2009. I am going to be married, in a one time, for a lifetime, union. I found the man that I want to be with for the rest of my life. My marriage will be something that will never end, not even if, “until death” comes too soon. Moreover, I know that marriage means the same thing to my fiancé. Marriage to both of us is something that is more than a legal union; it is a commitment to one another for all time.

I have chosen a “for as long as we both shall live,” marital commitment, but that is not something that everyone does. It seems today that marriage does not mean for a lifetime. In almost every wedding ceremony, the vows are “until death do us part,” or something alluding to the same idea. So, why do we have so many divorces in society today? The vows do not seem to be taken seriously. It is sad, but true.

Too many people rush into marriage as if it is something to be taken lightly. It is not. Marriage should be something that is taken seriously, as it is supposed to be a lifetime commitment. People need to take their time and think about what is in their best interest for the rest of their life, not just, what suits them in the present. Marriage is not something that is supposed to suit a person’s fancy for a short time.

I have to say that I am lucky. I have had the experience of seeing a marriage that has lasted for twenty-five years already, and will last a lifetime. My parents have taken their marriage vows as a complete lifetime commitment to one another. They have been married for twenty-five and half years, and are still going strong. Sure, they have their problems, but they do not just forget about their vows. Marriage can be hard work sometimes, but divorce is not the answer. Having lived in a home, where marriage is a lifetime commitment, it has reinforced my belief. Their marriage has also shaped my belief.

I believe that when a person stops and takes the time to think about marriage and what it means, that person will be able to choose a strong relationship for a true marriage. Everyone should look at marriage as a strong, serious commitment, to another person for his or her entire life. I believe that marriage is the one and only lifetime commitment to one partner. Too many people take marriage for granite, and jump into a situation that is not going to work for them for their entire life. I believe that my one time commitment to my fiancé is the most important and the biggest choice in my life, as of today. I believe in marriage and its meaning. I believe in the vows that I am going to take in 2009. I believe in a lifetime commitment, when it comes to marital vows. This is what I believe.