Believe It or Not, Failure is Useful

Katherine - Bloomington, Illinois
Themes: setbacks, work

Make mistakes, fall over again and again, and then pick yourself up. We must have failure in order to have success. A dichotomy needs another half, just as progress needs failure. I do not mean to encourage students to fail calculus or to give up when the going gets tough, but instead to accept that failure is a part of life and we must strive though it if we want to improve. As Albert Einstein said, “anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” We need failure to learn, and we learn from our own mistakes better than everyone else’s does; it is a fear to conquer and even though it is daunting, we must face it. Fear is contagious and when people are afraid to fail, they do not try. Stepping closer the edge becomes out of the question and life would be easier if everyone signed up for essentials classes instead of advanced courses. I will not allow myself catch the disease that is the fear of failing because I will never get what I want out of life if I do not do something to attain it. I cannot be controlled by anything and I will not be held back from accomplishing my goals for the future.

I want more than the everyday student does. Because I need more for myself, do not confuse this idea with greed, instead the idea that there is always room for improvement. In my education I am trying to do more than get to college; I am trying to find my passion and the course that will determine the rest of my life. I cannot count how many parents, teachers, and other students have asked me about what I plan to major or what I want to be when I grow up. My only answer: I am working on it, but I know I will not find it if I am afraid to search, stumble, and maybe even fall.

I will always try to improve and failure will always be a part of progress. It is okay to fall, it is okay to make a mistake as long as you take something from it; you cannot be afraid to branch out because the fear with control you and you will never achieve success. I need failure to figure out who I am. I believe in failure.