Jokes Really Are the Best Thing for a Marriage

Rebecca - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in the power of laughter in a marriage. It’s often said that laugher is the best medicine and in my marriage, it certainly has been. Mirth has gotten us through some pretty tough times, but it has also made the rest of our life together especially wonderful.

My husband and I giggle together for a good part of every day. We say random off the wall comments, talk each other in ridiculous voices, make funny faces and tease each other about our little quirks. We find each one another hilarious and that hilarity only seems to increase the longer we are together. Just as love grows in a marriage, so too does our ability to make one another laugh!

The year we got married was a particularly tough one for us. As we planned our wedding, something we both found really stressful, we joked about what certain family members may wear to the wedding or the imaginary disgusting foods we might serve. Two months after we were married, when we dealt with my father-in-law losing battle with cancer, laughter helped us fight our tears. When that battle was lost, we depended on funny stories about my husband’s dad to help fight the pain.

When, a few years later, we returned to college as adult, full time students, we used wisecracks and sarcastic comments to help us combat test anxiety. We told stupid knock-knock jokes as food for our souls as we pulled all nighters to pull of those term papers and twenty page projects. When graduation came, we kidded about the crazy outfits we’d wear under our gowns to fight the pre-ceremony jitters.

My husband’s quirky sense of humor has the power to make me laugh, anytime, anywhere. He knows where my funny buttons are and he takes immense joy in pushing them. He can make me laugh until I snort when he makes his monkey face. He can crack me up when I’m depressed by making up bizarre stories. He knows when I need that; he knows what my medicine is.

My husband is also endlessly entertained by my offbeat sense of humor too. If he’s down in the dumps, he count on me to do my awful impression of an Irish jig or my sad version of break dancing, both to music that only I can hear in my head… When we’re riding in the car, he can expect that I will sing him rambling, senseless songs that will, no doubt, be delivered very off key. He knows that on demand, I will grant him one of my many impressions of things like a superhero pose or the famous sumo wrestler.

It’s a great joy and comfort to both of us to be able to laugh so much. To know how much delight it’s brought us and it’s gotten us through so much, makes us look forward to the future, knowing that no matter what’s out there, we make it through, one laugh at a time.