Tolerance; This I Believe

Lynnsey - Eagle, Idaho

I haven’t even lived a quarter of my life, so there are many things all over the world I do not understand. I’m only sixteen and I spend most of my year in school, which is not enjoyable. Loads of different people attend my high school and being accepting and tolerant are character traits that are absolutely necessary. Someone speaking a different language or moving too slow in a wheel chair might frustrate you, but should you let that get to you?

There are many reasons making school demanding and hagrid. For instance, your stress climbs to horrendous levels, teachers constantly tell you what to do, heaps of homework every night, waking up before the crack of dawn, and the list goes on and on. But when a student has to keep composure over all of that plus get treated badly for reasons they are unsure, it gets harsh.

At my school during break, the mentally challenged students all sit together at one table, in the cafeteria, by the lunch line. I was standing in the line when I heard a rupture of laughter coming from up ahead. I peeked around all the peole and saw five students rolling pennies across the floor. At first I was trying to figure out what was so funny. Until, I saw one of the challenged students jump from his chair and chase the penny throughout the cafeteria. All the kids thought this was hilarious as several of the challenged would run after the pennies tripping over chairs, tables, and anything else obstructing their path.

I was disgusted at how some people can be so cruel, pitiless, and unmerciful. I hate the lack of understanding, tolerance, and acceptance in our community. We have such a huge population filled with diversity and strength. Sure, I haven’t seen it all yet but what I do comprehend about the faults in our world could do with change.

I have always had a compassion for people different than me and I appreciate the differences in our world. If there weren’t different cultures and ethnicities, our world would be boring and glum. Respect, it starts with one person and develops, nurturing off other people.

So pass it on, don’t keep transforming our society a secret. It’s time for spring cleaning our community, getting rid of unwanted attitudes and unpeaceful situations and start a revolution. Tolerance; This I Believe.