Lifes Ups and Downs

Tess - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

Life is full of negatives. Is it just me or does the value of life decrease with the passing of each day? Nowadays it appears that everyone has a sad story to tell. My grandma has so far lived a very pleasing life. Recently she has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Although she still remains positive, it doesn’t seem that at only 63 she should feel this way. Every time I leave our “bubble” the more eager I feel to want to return. One steamy, summer day I was returning from the movies with my family. All of a sudden a sea gull flopped out from underneath the car in front of us. In order to not run over the bird I swerved a bit. We heard a very large crunch from under the tires. I felt terrible ending the seagull’s life, even though it was bound to happen on the busy road. Next, a person drove next to our car with an expression on their face as to say “nice going”, as their droning music blared. It was all so terrible that all I could do was laugh. Whether it’s a deteriorating family member or the lighter subject of a dead sea gull it’s hard to enjoy life.

Life wouldn’t amount to much if that’s the only way I thought. It’s impossible to not feel down in the dumps now and again, but it’s key to keep a positive mind set. I do things in life which I enjoy, and surround myself with people who bring me happiness. For example, I enjoy very much being a part of the cross country team. I love to run for the goals made at meets, an outlet to clear my mind, and just a way to stay in shape. Also, I find much comfort on the team. When I put my mind to something, I do it full-heartedly. I find if I don’t I find it only brings discouragement. It’s like Life is Good brand’s motto says “Do what you like, like what you do.”

News is bad for one’s health—literally. And laughter IS the best medicine. Not a day goes by when the news isn’t more than depressing. I know I can’t change the horrors of the world so I look to the positive instead—keeping busy, and always looking for a brighter side and, hopefully, a good laugh. I simply have to because as the saying goes “Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone, for this sad old earth must borrow its mirth, but has troubles enough of its own.”