Spirits in Myth

Anthony(Tony) - Dahlonega, Georgia

There is within mankind a strong suspion, an intuition if you will, that there is an existence beyond the range of our senses. Somewhere in the vicinity of our tangible world there is a non-material presence in an unseen reality. I believe it is within this invisible realm, we find many answers to the purpose and meaning of the life we live in our material world.

I believe the mythical stories of the Christian faith best reveal the mysteries of this spiritual existence. In the scriptures of the Bible there is an unfolding story of the influences and purposes of the activities that go unnoticed by the natural world. A story not easily accepted in our Age of Reason.

It begins for us with the creation of the natural world by the spiritual world – by God. But, before this occurred, God had already created a society of spiritual beings called angels. An insurrection took place and many angels rebelled against God. Led by the chief adversary, Lucifer, they were defeated and cast down to earth to perpetuate the evil that exists in our world. Now, these stories admittedly read like myth. Nevertheless, by original definition, myth does not necessarily mean untrue. We have then, living among us, the angels who serve God and those who oppose him.

Now more important than the spiritual entities living among us, is the spiritual substance of our own nature. I believe we are created body, soul and spirit. We have physical bodies, and a soul that houses our intellect and emotions, among other things. However, our real creative person, the part of us created in the image of our Creator, is our spirit. I believe here, lies the true heart of an individual. Just as an unobserved spiritual world subsists among us, our spirit temporarily dwells within our triune nature. It is that part of us that suspects there is more to life than what we perceive with our senses. It is our mythic nature, and it tells us “things are not as they seem.”

We know our bodies will one day decease. I believe our spirits will live on. In the meantime, our story tells us our lives are involved in a conflict that may determine our eternal destiny. With the help of a loving Creator, we assume our part in consummating that destiny.

In the fashion of true myth, a war wages for the hearts of mankind. From the spiritual domain the enemies of heaven are trying to destroy the apple of God’s creative eye, us. It is within the hearts of men and women – our hearts being the eyes of our spirit – the battles rage. With spiritual weapons like faith, hope and love, we engage the enemy the best we can, while God’s angelic hosts are forever coming to our aid. Also, in true mythical fashion, good prevails over evil. It is the unseen that is eternal, and our loving God assures our victory at our story’s end.