One White Dress

Renee - Chandler, Arizona

One White Dress

I believe that God cares about the little details of our lives. For a long time, I hesitated to ask Him for help because what I needed seemed so trivial. After all, He created the universe and has to run it, which is a pretty big job with more headaches than I care to think about. Sometimes, God works in a spectacular fashion, leaving no doubt as to who’s in charge. But more often, He works little miracles by surprising us with the desires of our hearts.

Worried about my personal financial situation, I could see no relief. One day, God gave me a bible verse, “Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.” (Luke 12:27). Following an inner voice, I decided to go to New Orleans for a rebuilding project, where He brought me to Gussie.

Gussie lost everything she owned after Katrina devastated that city. I met her my first day when our church group went there to help rebuild a house. I had seen her earlier in church, and then I formally met her when the ladies brought us lunch. She was wearing a beautiful linen dress – brand new and pristine white. After talking with her a few minutes, she told me how blessed she was – even though her house, all her clothes and possessions had been ruined beyond repair from the floods. I was thinking it was amazing that she wasn’t cynical, bitter or at least sad. When I said those thoughts aloud, she placed a hand on my arm. “Why girl, what do I have to be upset about? God sent me this beautiful white dress! He knew I would need a dress for church, and then someone donated it – it was exactly my size and it is beautiful.” She smoothed the front and stepped back to strike a pose. “I am so blessed! He knows what I need!” A huge smile split her face and as tears came to my eyes, I could feel her joy.

That’s when I realized that God does care about our little details. Through Gussie’s faith in God and her belief in His ability to prompt her fellow men to help, she had the joy of one white dress. I gained strength from her story, and humbled by God’s gentle touch in our lives. He showed me he cares.