Sisters Are Forever

Melissa - Columbus, Michigan

I believe that Sisters are forever. My older sister means the world to me. The connection that we share is stronger than any other friendship that I have experienced. Friends will come and go, but a sister is forever. Any qualms between my sister and I are out of love. Although they may seem unforgivable at the time, the problems are only temporary; and believe me, we have had our share of differences. My sister will always be a part of my life and no matter how terrible a feud may be, I will always be there for her and she will do the same for me.

Three years apart in age my sister and I have had some major ‘girl world’ drama. When we were little we would pull hair, punch, scream, and even spit. Yes, I said spit; a nasty little habit that was ended with an olive pit…but that is a whole other story in itself. We often defied the rules of feminism, but when you are young, those rules are ignored. I would make use of the old ‘she has more than me’ trick when we would get ice-cream; just to see if I could get more than her. She would pull out the ‘I’m older’ card when bedtimes came around. Our arguments lasted long into the night as we disagreed on exactly whose turn it was to try and beat Mario on Nintendo. We were always utilizing our sibling rivalry tools. I look back and feel sorry for what my parents had to put up with. My poor father must have been in shambles, whimpering in the corner and pulling out his hair, as the high pitched screams of his two daughters echoed through the house.

On the contrary, when I look back I also see a best friend. I always had somebody to play with, even if it did result in an argument over whose Barbie was better. Some of the best times of my childhood were had with my sister by my side. There was always someone to play tennis or hopscotch with in the driveway. I recall times of belting out the melodies of The Beach Boys and playing dress-up in the basement. On top of all that, we could have sleepovers in each others rooms as often as we wanted. Those were the nights where we would share secrets and tell ghost stories. Nothing beats having a best friend that lives with you.

Being younger, I always looked up to her. As a pre-teen, I learned everything there was to know about being a ‘cool’ teenager. When she went through the phase of listening to rap music and wearing JNCO jeans, I was close behind her. Everything I did mimicked what my sister did. She started wearing the fishermen style hats, so I started wearing them too. She ran cross-country and track, so I did it too; only not as good as her. Even today, my sister is an extremely successful educator at an elementary school. What am I going to college for? I am pursuing elementary education of course, with the hopes of being as great as her.

Sisters absolutely are forever. We know the ins and outs of each other more than anyone else ever could. I will always remember that the person I am today was partially molded by my big sister…and I will always cherish that.