(Wo)man’s Best Friend

Ashley - Bloomington, Illinois

Although my belief may not be original or one that others have not already heard, I still believe that dog is (wo)man’s best friend. I believe that a dog serves many purposes in life, so many that the necessity for anything else in life does not even matter. I also believe that my dog is better and will always be better than any man who will ever enter my life for many reasons and these are just a few:

REASON 1:The love of my dog is unconditional.

Knowing my weaknesses, having insight to my secrets, and witnessing my eccentricities and idiosyncrasies, my dog still loves me. He doesn’t mind my morning breath or my stinky feet; he doesn’t mind my mismatched socks or my wrinkled shirt; he doesn’t mind my bad hair days and my monthly break outs; he even loves me after I eat garlic. He accepts all of my weaknesses, secrets, and actions for what they are and continues to love me unconditionally.

REASON 2:My dog is always there for me.

I know that whenever I need him, he will always be there to comfort my problems. Each night I go to bed he serves as a heater under the covers, and each morning, he acts as an alarm clock. I know that every time I come home, he will be there waiting at the door to give me his daily sloppy kiss. I even know that he misses me just as much as I miss him when we are apart.

REASON 3:My dog does not criticize or make fun.

Going along with REASON 1, my dog accepts me for who I am. I can tell him a horrible joke without feeling stupid or without fearing even gossip of other’s; my secrets are always kept safe. I can play fetch with him and guarantee that my dog will never say that I “throw like a girl.” Singing, as well, is never an issue because dogs do not laugh.

REASON 4:My dog comes when I holler his name.

Unlike most men, my dog comes to me when I holler his name. My dog listens to me when the time is right and always understands the meaning of his name when said in different tones.

REASON 5:My dog knows what the word “NO” means.

Again unlike most men, my dog knows what the word “NO” means. My dog will never continue doing what he his doing if he hears the word “no.” He will never make me feel less of an individual by not listening to me because he always knows when to stop.

REASON 6:I can train my dog how to behave appropriately.

My dog is trainable. I can tell him the things I like and the things I do not like and hope that he understands. Men, I can tell them things and hope that they understand, but really, it is a lost cause. My dog obeys my orders and graciously follows my hand commands and tone of voice to do as I wish. Unfortunately man and dog are alike for they will always sit for a treat.

So, as you see, these are six of my many reasons why I believe dog is (wo)man’s best friend. Not only does he serve many purposes in my life such as a heater at night, alarm clock in the morning, companion, and shrink, but also he obeys and loves unconditionally.