The Downfall of Clutter

Elizabeth - Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Themes: work

I hate clutter. I make a constant effort to keep my room clean, yet when the school week goes by, I manage to turn it back into a wasteland. My cleaning day is most often Sunday, a day I usually don’t have too much to do besides homework (fun) and house chores (more fun). I go through the week’s damages—papers and books lying on my bed, clothes on the floor, and random stuff just everywhere. School seems to wreak havoc on my room. There is never enough time for me to actually put away anything I get out. I clean my room knowing it’s surely going to return to its messy state within the next two days. I continue to clean it because I hate the feeling of being in a cluttered space, despite the fact that I can only enjoy the cleanliness for about… four hours. So, a weekly ritual goes on; I spend time making my personal space look nice, hoping that I will feel more comfortable after the mess is gone. Yet that reward never lasts, and the process therefore never seems to end.

There is a reason I don’t just give up, to let my room become an ever-building mountain of junk. I’d certainly be thrilled to have one less responsibility on my shoulders. How much easier it would be, never spending those Sunday hours collecting scattered objects and placing them in their rightful spots. Yet for some reason, I persist in cleaning. This, I have decided, is due to the importance of existing without clutter. I believe there is great significance in living in a clean space. Not only because people are frightened by other people’s perceptions (a messy home reflects on the homeowner—messy home, messy mind?), but more often because of one’s own comfort. In the constantly busy world of today, the last thing someone wishes is to come home to a messy house. Cluttered space creates a general feeling of lag—a feeling of unproductiveness, as there is always a lack of time. This continues, until one reaches an all over feeling of discomfort, of discontent. Maintaining personal space is vital to one’s productivity, and in essence, one’s sanity. If my room is messy, my first reaction is to crawl into bed and sleep. The clutter overwhelms me and I end up doing virtually nothing. Life cannot exist in this way; and it is therefore simply necessary to protect and care for one’s personal space.