My Rock

Jacqueline - Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan

I Believe

For the last couple years I have been faced with an issue that has become an uphill battle, trying to have faith in God. This struggle in my life has been by far the “rock” that I constantly try to roll to the top of the mountain, as Sisyphus tried to. At certain times I become so discouraged and want to quit trying because I feel like it is a “futile and hopeless labor”, as the punishment that the gods had condemned Sisyphus to doing. There are so many obstacles in this society for someone who is trying to devote their life to god, and I seem to always steer away from god when I am faced with demands from society that don’t follow the path I want to be on. I consistently make an effort to further by faith, no matter the obstacles, because I believe it is one of the most important things to have in ones life.

A reason why I believe strongly in having faith is because when things are going well in your life, getting good greats, succeeding in sports, having a cute boyfriend, etc., you feel on top of the world, but sooner or later there will come an end to this high. When that end comes, you can still find peace because you have god to fall back on and help you through these rough times and assist you in seeing that everything will turn out okay. For me, striving to be faithful is so significant, because even though I’m not 100 percent there yet, I still get a sense that I am being comforted by god and have someone watching out for me when I go through times that I think are unfixable. It is such a relief knowing that god is there to take away some of the pain.

It’s not only important to be faithful to have someone there to make life easier, but also I believe having faith makes you a better person in general. When I attend Younglife (a nondenominational high school group), I notice the people that obviously have a strong faith, and envy them because I see in them a kindness and love that I don’t see in people without it. Not saying that people lacking god in their lives aren’t kind and don’t love, but everyone I have met with a strong faith hold these qualities, and I believe that all people with that faith have just a more satisfied life, because they know they are never alone. There are thousands of motives to why I want to be faithful, and because of that I will never give up and never quit believing that having faith is the one thing that will give you a full and complete life.