I believe in taking Breaks

Anna Liang - Grosse Pointe City, Mississippi
Themes: peace, pleasure

After a long and strenuous swim season, my paper plate award in the end sums up my approach in life, “Can I Take A Break?”. Even though this may not have been an ideal way to be recognized, as the first thing that comes to mind is laziness, I feel that it has become an important part of my routine that gets me through the day.

In the beginning of the year, I was all against taking a breather or a nap; I just wanted to get through all my homework and be done with it all. Realizing that I may have taken upon myself too heavy of a schedule, I found myself forcing my eyelids to stay open into the wee hours of the night and not going to bed until well past midnight. Each week became a constant blur, with no differentiation of the days. Without any free time, I found myself becoming dysfunctional and longing for the days of relaxing and just reading or drawing without the thought of school work looming above me.

I realized I had to make room into my daily routine for things I enjoyed doing and to take a break once in awhile. Anything from taking a quick ten minute nap to recharge or drawing in my new sketch book, all help me to refocus and concentrate better. It can be as simple as taking a few needed deep breathes during a test to help relieve the stress or taking a walk around the block.

Even a change in location and setting helps to break up the pattern. An indulged break for me is being able to take two hours out of my day and going to gymnastics practice. There is nothing like flipping through the air that gets your mind off of school. It gives me the chance to concentrate and put my energy into something other than homework and school.

In the end, after going to school for seven hours straight, my first choice for an after school activity would not be going back to hitting the books. Even though I may not be the biggest fan of having to do multiple hours of homework each day, the breaks that I make a conscious effort to take are what get me through my daily routine.