This I believe…

megan - Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

My high school years have not been my fondest. I would never go to the extent to say I have hated life since freshman year, but it has not been utopia for me. I want to start believing in the saying “You have one life to live, so live it to the fullest.” Many times when I am in my room sulking over a bad test grade I think about a friend who once told me not to dwell over something you can’t control. These two sayings go hand in hand for me, you only have one life so if you have worked as hard as you possibly can and you still do not succeed don’t dwell over it.

I was talking to my mom one night and she could tell I was really upset and stressed out. She said to me grades are very important, but in the future you are not going to remember one bad test grade, you will remember hating high school. Her words were indented into my brain and really opened my eyes. In my room I thought long and hard about what both my mom and my friend had said to me. This does not mean I am going to completely slack off and not care about school, but it does mean I am going to relax a bit and just remember I can’t control some things. The things I can’t control should not waste my precious time in life being dwelled upon.

I do believe in the saying live life to the fullest because if you think about it 100 years is not a lot of time compared to the moment man first inhabited the earth. In your life time you must remember this is my time, my only time. When thinking about this, being completely stressed out through my high school years takes away time and time is the most precious aspect of life.

When I think of people who commit suicide at any age, but especially at a young age it makes me so sad. Life and time is a treasure and this treasure was so quickly taken away from them. These people have hardly begun to live their lives. Sometimes life does suck, I would know, but now that I have looked through a different light I think there is always tomorrow. Life goes on and dwelling upon something is not worth it.

I truly and sincerely believe in the saying live life to the fullest because you only have one chance to do it.