Ripping the Entry

Jordan - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Themes: sports

Quitting gymnastics in 7th grade, after doing the sport for more than half of my life, I felt an absence in my life. The void was filled after watching the 2004 Winter Olympics when I encountered diving. What could be more fun than jumping off a tower or a springboard while doing as many possible flips and twists before hitting the water? It seemed like a perfect transition from gymnastics. So my freshman year in high school, I was determined to dive for the Grosse Pointe South team. Diving did not seem difficult from an observational perspective since I already had an acrobatic background. But it actually required more work and body control than gymnastics. Soon enough, diving became my new passion.

As a third-year diver, I have progressed more than I had imagined, but the complexity of the sport leaves perfection unattainable. Striving each day to get better and continuous training for the gold, a few days off seems to lead to the silver. The hurdle is the inconsistent approach to the end of the board. Slightly skewed balance results in a disaster, for total equilibrium is required for success. Daily training is the only aspect that leads to triumph, because it is a necessity for a reliable hurdle. Working so hard for three hours on a daily basis Monday through Saturday, a couple days off takes you back where you started. Over stepping your last step, not driving your knee up high enough, leaning a tad forward, or not looking up at the right time has the undesirable outcome.

Once a feeling of confidence is developed, vacation comes, you get sick, or you suffer from swimmers ear, inhibiting you from reaching the goal. Every time something like this happens, you go back to the beginning where the feeling of insecurity and doubt constantly dwells over you. Unable to conquer the hurdle, diving seems impossible. The frustration and aggression of this concept have the unfortunate consequence of failure. But it is nothing close to failure because given another week, you continue where you left off. It is just a feeling of waste that you work so hard to achieve a goal and a few days off your routine alters your usual performance.

Finding this sport was the best thing that sprouted into my life and it has become the main focus in my life. Through this activity I found that once you find something you love and hold so much passion in, it affects your whole life. I believe that following your heart and doing what you like is the essential key to living your life to the fullest.