Making the Best of a Testing Struggle

Myah - Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan

Ultimately, no matter what many struggles life may bring, I believe that individuals who make the best of their testing situation have the ability and opportunity to grow as a person and come out of the struggle victorious.

I’ve always been a flourishing student, but one not fond of homework at all, so when my English teacher assigned a short-passage reading over the previous weekend, I was overcome with a feeling of pure boredom. I decided to read the story and look over the review questions during the commercial breaks of my favorite television show and as I read further, I became fully interested in the tale of the never-ending struggle of Sisyphus, a mythical character straining to raise a huge stone, to roll it, and to push it up a slope, only to have his purpose achieved and to watch the stone rush down in a few moments.

The never ending struggle illustrated in the myth of Sisyphus can be related to my life and the financial pressures in my household. My parents are well-educated individuals who want the best for their children and when I was in 4th grade, they decided to move to Grosse Pointe for the high-quality education system. A few years passed and we decided we needed more space in our 3 bedroom house and therefore moved to another Grosse Pointe residence a few blocks away from our previous home. Currently, we own two homes in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, and in an economy that is far from its best, one can see the many struggles that come with the responsibility of paying off two mortgages. Like Sisyphus’ never ending uphill struggle, my parents succeed in providing a good life for their children and although many individuals are interested in buying our home, the economy won’t allow them to buy the house. Furthermore, although we succeed in living a middle class lifestyle, our house is still on the market. We are one example of many households contending with the poor market in America regarding homes, and although it’s a struggle that is out of our control, we make the best of it, and in result, our situation will result in success, unlike Sisyphus’ never-ending struggle.