Success

Alex - Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
Themes: work

When I was little, my parents greatly emphasized the method of a good work ethic, which they said would help me to succeed in life. Well I have something to tell them about that. Life stinks. Many go through life working too hard for something that can be given to them so easily. Life isn’t as complex and traumatic as people think. The high achievers choose not to follow their paths set for them, but to run down it screaming and making the biggest scene. I choose to quietly trudge down my path of life, occasionally shining in the light and stepping in the deepest mud puddle (life is as simple as that). I figured that if Fate wanted to give me something, Fate could walk up to me and hand over. You don’t have to scramble over to Fate and rip it out from their grasp. There are many influences in life to tell you what to do to be successful. My parents for one are the biggest influence on me. They basically told me from the day I was born, what was right and what was wrong. I guess now my teenager genes are telling me to neglect everything they say, especially about school. They went to school 40 years ago, what the heck do they know? They have told me countless of times to work as hard as you can and you will be successful in life. But what is successful?

Many people have a different view on what is successful. For some it is

a prosperous business, others it is to be wealthy beyond compare, but for a select few, success doesn’t come with prized possessions or power. It is to be happy with the few things that life has given them. Society has blurred this image; it has made success and happiness look like materials that can be purchased. Happiness is a man that wanders throughout the world and he will eventually travel across your path. If you work really hard to find the guy, you won’t be able to find him. Let happiness come to you, not the other way around. Everyone would eventually find happiness sometime in their life; it is just a matter of how hard you work for it. You don’t want to work too hard for happiness, remember: the more you work for pleasure, the less you will receive as the outcome