Black Cats and Broken Mirrors

Melissa - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Why are you reading this? I’m not quite sure, but you’re supposed to be. The fortune cookies, the ouija boards, the tarot cards… I believe in them all. As superstitious or unorthodox as it may seem, I believe in fate. Nothing is through chance, no one is lucky. We do not determine our own future, it is right there, in front of our faces, and all we have to do is see it. There is a plan.

Sure, this may be just some sort of theory thought up to comfort me when I’m upset or to help me sleep at night, but I don’t t believe so. Everything, and everyone for that matter, comes into your life for a reason. Whether it is to challenge you or support you, every person you meet or pass by on the sidewalk is there for a purpose. Nothing is by accident. I believe that your “soul mate” isn’t the stereotypical movie-like person that you fall in love with and marry. My soul mate is someone who, whether they are in my life for a week or five years, improves my life—be it by teaching me or testing me.

Signs are everywhere, we just don’t notice them. Lizzie Hyde was in my honors accelerated geometry class freshman year. I sat right next to her, assuming she would be the reserved studious neighbor that would keep to herself. Not so. We’ve been inseparable ever since. I can see her as my maid of honor on my wedding day. I sat next to her for a reason, and my hypothesis is to support and force me to push myself. She makes me want to do better. Every day I interact with friends, curious as to how things are going to turn out and how my life will be impacted. Everyone I know has affected my life somehow. Things will test me, make me adapt, guide me through life, but all throughout I have the comfort when I rest my head on my pillow at night that it’s not for nothing. Everything and everyone is meant for something and someone. So, the next time you look over at your neighbor in math, or pass someone on the street, remember, you’re meant to be there.