Family: The Quest to Save my Unborn Brother’s Life

Chelsa - Ansonia, Ohio

Family: The Quest to Save a Life

I believe that family is the most important thing in my life.

Without my family who would I be and what would I do? Those are two questions I ask myself every day. Sure I do things for myself, but I think my family gives me that extra little push that I need.

My family is very special as my mom and dad are divorced. My parents have not been together for about eleven years. My dad has long since remarried and has one more kid besides my brother and me. My mom on the other hand says that she is never going to remarry, but she has had the same boyfriend for like the past eight or nine years, I think. She says that she is happy with the way things are and she can come and go as she pleases. My parents divorce has made me come to realize that when I get married and if I have kids I don’t ever want to put them through what my brother and I went through.

When my dad got remarried back in July of 2003, I think it was, and my step-mom got pregnant that really was when my family stuck together. We thought at the time that the baby was going to have down-syndrome and we were all just devastated. The doctor also thought that after the baby was born that it would not live long after it was born. So one night I came up with any idea that may help everyone feel better about the whole situation. I decided that we should all sit down as a family and talk about the baby and the future joy that he or she was going to bring to our lives and after we finished I thought it was a good idea that we should pray and that may help even more. So every time that our family was available we got to together to talk and pray for the special little baby. You know what, I think that helped the baby even more because like they say God works in mysterious ways.

As the months progressed we figured out that the baby was a boy, and he just kept getting stronger and stronger and was fighting for its life. No matter what was happening we were always there for my stepmom and my dad. They both really need us especially my stepmom. Finally, it was time for him to be born. Everything went very well my stepmom was fine and the baby was perfectly fine and healthy the only thing was he was a preemie, but he was getting stronger by the minute. At that moment I knew that he would just fine and live a long and happy life. And for the past five years he has just been the most amazing baby brother that I could have.

This story is why I believe that family is the most important thing in my life.