I Believe in Struggle

Desiree - Greenville, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe in Struggle.

I have struggled for most everything I have which isn’t much. I started working at age 14 at the local A&W Root Beer stand. Every night, when I got home from work I would count the tips I had made and then put them into a little box under my bed. I was trying to save up for a car. I didn’t really have my eye on a particular one I just figured that since I was only 14 and that I couldn’t drive anyway that if I worked and saved until then, then I would probably have a lot of money and could get any car I wanted. It didn’t quite work that way though. After the summer was over and it was time to go back to school I had went to the Dayton mall to buy new school clothes. Well that day I realized that I didn’t know the value of a dollar. I went from $800 to $20 in no time. The next summer I continued to work and had earned around $200 dollars or more. One day my dad called my up and said his wife was getting a new car and that he was going to have her old one so he was now going to sell the Dynasty. I asked him how much and when he told me $200 I was so excited I had enough. It was definitely not all that but it got me from A to B once I was aloud to drive it. It took all of my will power to save the money I did and a lot of hours .My first car, my second, and my third car were all a struggle to get and to keep but I appreciated everyone of them and took good care of them. Especially after I learned that cars need oil and you can’t drive without it. I think that if you put your blood, sweat, and tears into something rather it’s an old junker car that you bought for $200 or a brand new Lamborghini for $100,000 you will appreciate it more. Most all the kids I went to school with got newer cars when they turned 16 and started driving to school. This one boy got a new jeep and within one month of his grandparents getting this for him he totaled it. Luckily everyone was okay but of course he got another not as new but free car and that one was totaled within three months. I believe the value of something is not its dollar amount but the value you place on because of what you had to do to get it.