Simple Ways of Life

Mary Lynn - USA

I believe in the simple ways of life, enjoying the starry nights, breathtaking sunsets, and a family that I love. I cherish the simple moments, the simple memories. It is hard to make this realization in the world today. Too many people get caught up in the materialistic way of life, or as they say, “trying to keep up with the Joneses”. Focusing on the materialistic complicates the simple life. But I believe deep down everyone cherishes the little heart-warming moments, the moments where someone can see God’s presence.

Growing up on a farm I have witnessed God’s presence: the beauty of nature, enjoying the growth of a tree, the blossoming of fruit, and the taste of nature. Living on a cherry and honeybee farm there was always time for me to witness the beautiful acts of nature. However, when I was little I never recognized the simple moments that I now treasure. I have learned that people need to step back, slow down, and look at the simple picture.

I grew up in a family of seven brothers and sisters, so there was never a dull moment, in fact it quite chaotic. A big family is complicated for many reasons, like age differences, personalities, or wide range of activities by each child. But within that chaos I have found the simple truth of family. I believe that family is one of the simplest most pure gifts that we have in our lives.

I believe that God created us with the understanding that we must focus on the simple ways of life. We must find the truth in those moments and hold on to that truth. We live in a complicated world, a world full of problems–broken families, loss of jobs, etc. I believe that living a simple life can help solve these problems, by focusing on the simplicity within this complicated life. Allowing people to care about their own lives, their own family, and enjoy the simple acts, then each and every one of us (and our world) would be better off.