Jessica - Allendale, Michigan

“Silence is golden,” this I believe! I know some people may not agree with this saying, but I do. Everyday we are bombarded with sounds, some annoying and others pleasant, but nonetheless, we are surrounded by sounds from morning to night from our alarm clock beeping for us to get up in the morning to various people conversing with each other throughout the day to the television running reality show after reality show of annoying, superficial celebrity wannabes. It seems there is no escape from the noise of life and the world around us, and that is why I cherish the moments of silence when I can rest my mind and body, and simply be in that moment. Let’s be honest, it is hard to find those silent moments, but I believe we must find them because it is the only way to stay sane in a world of chaos and confusion.

So many people are afraid or embarrassed by the silence. Why does someone always feel they have to interrupt the silence when a group of people stop talking? Can’t a person just sit amongst a group of people and listen? Why does silence have such a negative connotation in our society? Sometimes silence speaks more truth than words could ever speak, and if people would only be quiet for a minute, they might discover the truth they are seeking. Maybe that’s why I enjoy taking walks late at night with my dog, Maggie because the neighborhood is quiet, and the streets are empty. I can walk down the street and the only sound I hear is the wind whistling through the trees and Maggie’s dog tags clacking against each other. It is a time that I can finally think about the feelings and thoughts that have been racing through my head all day and reflect on the day that is ending and the next day to come. It is such a peaceful time for me because I don’t have to prove myself to anyone or feel obliged to fill the silence with words. I don’t have to say anything because the nature around me understands the beauty of silence.

Silence is a wonderful gift that we need to take the time to enjoy and appreciate, not to fear or feel embarrassed by. We need to take time during our hectic lives to bask in the serenity of silence and take those moments to reconnect with ourselves and recover the true meanings of our life. I know that it is not always easy to find a silent time to relax and reflect, but I urge you to find it and hold on to it because it makes life bearable. Those walks at night or lying in my bed reading and writing are the moments I take advantage of the silence, and cherish it because I know tomorrow I will be faced with the noisy sounds of the real world where cell phones are ringing, people are chattering on the bus ride to school, professors are lecturing, and clocks are ticking time away. I refuse to lose the serenity of silence and for me, it will always be golden!