Love Is All Around Us

Alyse - Allendale, Michigan
Themes: love

Love is always around us and as we get older we are always looking for love, to love and, most importantly, to be loved. I was always the overweight girl that boys just want to be friends with but would never actually want to date. Those experiences throughout high school made me wonder if I was ever going to find love and gave me a pessimistic outlook. It is incidents like these that have come to make me wonder; if love is suppose to be such an amazing feeling, why does it hurt so much trying to find it? For this, I believe that love is out there for those who never give up.

My parents were divorced when I was young and from that point on I have been constantly searching to find someone to accept and love me for the girlie girl that I truly am. My parents were always too wrapped up in their own lives to truly care about what I was doing. This parental absence left me time to begin looking for love everywhere I could and thrive on any and all attention that I would receive.

Years past, and then the time came for me to leave home and go off to college. At this point all I could think of was that this was the time and place for me to reinvent myself. No one would know me here and I could now become the happy go lucky girl that I have always wanted to be. Unfortunately, that did not last long I soon began to fall back into my old ways of looking for love in all the wrong places. In relationships, whenever things were going well I would make an excuse and run. I would always let my negativity get the best of me. Then when it was all over with I would regret it, but I would just tell myself that it was for the best. It was my way of preventing my heart from being broken. When things wouldn’t work out I would blame it on the fact that I just was not good enough. My pessimistic attitude remained.

My life stayed on that path of wrong love and running for another year until I met the person that would change my outlook on love forever. I was home one night, getting ready to go back to school when a friend of mine introduced me to him. In the beginning, I thought he was like all the others. I decided to give him a chance since I was always looking for love. We had an amazing romance and then my typical point in the relationship approached where I run, but this time he stopped me. As much as I tried to push him away he tried even harder to keep me close. That was when I knew this relationship might just work out. He has been teaching me what love really is. That love is not just full of the good times, but the bad times to. Love is all around us, and if you look hard enough you will find it.