Suburban Comradery

William - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

I believe in suburban comradery. Living in a small, narrow-minded town, it’s rare to find a flesh-and-bone person that will return friendly gestures. Sometimes, I am at a loss of words for the awful, sickly humans that strut around with their $12,000 dogs and expect others to “clear the way”. As I stepped outside into the frigid, snowy air this morning, I pondered human nature at its core. My car, completely enveloped in snow and ice only an hour ago, was now free. Next to it, my cheerful neighbor stood, wiping off the last bits of snow. I extend the olive branch with a friendly wave, and he returns it with a nod. No words need to be spoken, my gratitude was apparent. We both went on our ways, full-well knowing that today would be a good day.

On days like these, I believe in the goodwill of humans. Multiple times I have witnessed such actions, and multiple times I have returned such favors. In the summer, I mow the lawns; in the fall, I rake the leaves, and sometimes it’s just enough to move your car so they can get “the good spot”. It reminds me of what is depicted as “the older days”, when the equivalent was lending your neighbor a cup of sugar, a stick of butter, or a few eggs: this form of companionship has existed over centuries. It may seem ridiculous to some, to see a teenager rant about all the “hardships” of the suburbs, but objectivity is relative, and only brings condescending, non-verbal stares of the ignorant who think “People are starving in Ethiopia, and you’re complaining about snow?”.

All of us fighting through our own hardships, the consistent friendly smile of our neighbors may completely renew our view on life. While some believe that humans are naturally evil, horrid creatures whose only motive is derived from greed and hatred, I have found evidence that has converted my views. Though, don’t take my word for it, everyone must prove it to themselves. Strewn across the battlefield of suburbia, corpses of domesticated animals, lost jobs, and bad grades lay. But through all of this, we can still look to either side of us and know that people are still moving forward.