Strength is Found in Weakness

Jennifer - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

“When I am weak, then I am strong,” is a quote from 2 Corinthians that instantly came to mind when I was faced with an SAT impromptu during a summer class. The prompt was to elaborate on our stance of the statement, “strength is found weakness.” Considering that my essay went completely south, I view this as my second chance to elaborate such a standpoint.

Point blank, I’m a Methodist Christian, and though it may not hold much weight to most, those words describe a big portion of my beliefs and what my life is insofar. I’ve been taking part in a program within my ministry, for a year, called Leadership, that plans and executes events that take place every Friday. It is a position I never would have imagined myself to be in when I was younger, because I did not have its unstated, underlying requirement: to have an unwavering faith not only in the religious aspects of God, and other churchy jargon, but a love and desire for the youth group that surpasses any hindrance.

The statement “strength is found in weakness” at first glance, is a very contradictory one, but after a closer look, there is much truth behind it. For sixteen years, I have lived in a world where strength was always simply defined, as being strong, end of story. It never crossed my mind that it could be a result of surrender, complete surrender. In everyday life, especially in what they call a Christian walk, there are endless trials, insults, persecutions, hardships, calamities, ultimately: moments of weakness. It was when I was faced with these troubles that I was found myself confused, frustrated, and bitter. But eventually, it led me to a state of humility.

Having overcome these trials, I know now that it was these occasions that God wanted me to face, because it was in these times that I was reminded that it was not by my strength, but His that held me upright daily. Now, I don’t try to fight weakness or to avoid its inevitability. I embrace it, or at the least try to. And even though there are still plenty more adversities to come, I’m no longer afraid of being weak in those periods. I’m confident that i will come out of them, a little stronger than I was before. For I know that He has plans for us, plans not to harm us, but to prosper us and give us hope. “For suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.