Seeing is Believing

Jack - Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

If seeing is believing, then there’s very little I can believe in, considering, in the big scheme, the lack of things in this world I’ve seen in sixteen years. I don’t believe in the Eiffel Tower, the tooth fairy, and the state of New Mexico. I do believe that the Pacific Ocean is big, and that methane is combustible. And I believe that the Earth is flat, and nothing will ever change my mind about that.

I don’t believe pictures of a round Earth, which can be faked, a testament to the incredible technological advances of the last fifty years. I don’t believe astronauts, who can lie, a government that can lie, and physics majors who study a round Earth for a living who can lie.

I do believe Galileo, one of existences most learned minds, who believed that the Earth was flat until the day he died. I believe the Flat-Earth Society, who still exists in London today, which has “scientific research to back up” their claims. And I especially believe in the Bible, the concrete word of God, which clearly defines that of a flat Earth. Isaiah 11:12 states, “And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the Earth.”

I will never be an astronaut. I’ve known since a young age that the prospect of hurtling hundreds, if not thousands, of miles an hour through the air is petrifying, as evidenced by the horror of my one, and only, airplane flight. The prospect of me traveling into space to gaze upon the beauty of our planet is nil. And hence, I will never view a round Earth with my own two eyes. I will believe the Earth is flat until the day I die, and I will refute anyone who claims otherwise.

Faith is imprecise, but facts are unflappable. Faith asks us to believe that the Earth is round, based on the good intentions of government funded spacemen. Facts remind us to remember that no astronaut or scientist can prove that the Earth is nothing more than a floating pancake. I believe in facts, and the fact is, the shape of the Earth cannot accurately be proved.