God Has A Plan

Marty - Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Themes: Christianity

Even in the Hard Times: God Has a Plan

When I was 6 years old, my 8 year old sister, Christie, was diagnosed with cancer. She proceeded to battle the disease for ten months before the cancer finally overtook her and she passed away. She had a rare type of tissue cancer that started in her mouth. The tumor began to make her cheek bulge out and eventually the cancer spread to the rest of her body. She underwent chemotherapy, which caused her to lose all of her long hair, which she had once found so much joy in. In the midst of the disease, all she did when she found out she was going to die was point a finger to the sky and say, “When will I go to heaven? I just want to go to heaven.” I didn’t even see her in the month before she died, she didn’t want me to remember her that way. She knew, even in her 8 year old mind, that God had a plan and everything was going to be okay. And even in the midst of death, everything was okay.

Our family grew very close, and stayed together after Christie’s death. I think the whole situation has taught us to enjoy the time and blessings we have and not to worry about the insignificant struggles and obstacles in life. My younger sister and I hardly ever fight, realizing that having siblings is a privilege and a blessing.

With the money my family received at the funeral we paid for eight children to go to school in the Philippines. All the children were taught about God. Three of them have become school teachers, three have become nurses, and one has become a farmer. We also bought $3000 worth of JESUS films to be spread around the world by missionaries. In this way, God used Christie’s death to reach countless people with the message of His love.

I’ve been told many other stories about Christie in the past ten years. Many of these I don’t remember, since I was so young and my parents didn’t want me to hear about the many horrible things she had to experience. I’ve found that all the stories and the whole situation lead to the same conclusion: God has a plan, and He works everything out according to His perfect will.

I’ve thought about this principle many times, especially when times are hard. I’ll fail a test, have a terrible basketball game, get injured, mess up relationships, and sometimes even cause physical and emotional pain to those around me. But I look back at my sister Christie and the hope she had in Jesus while battling cancer and realize that everything will be okay. I realize that God can change me, help fix my mistakes, and ultimately give me a hope and a future.