The Act of Forgiving

Regina - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

“What’s the point of second chances/ people never change” states the lyrics of a new pop-band, Paramore. If this was the case then why do we even bother in saying we learn from our mistakes? In life, it’s difficult to sometimes accept what others do unto us but I beg to differ that we ourselves are so perfect. I learn from my mistakes. If the outcome is not what I expected or wanted it to be, I know for next time. I am at the mercy of other people to forgive me at those times and to allow me to prove myself again but I think that it is necessary to give a second chance to anybody who’s done you wrong. Just embrace the imperfections in people and allow change to stem from this. Just give a person a second chance.

To emphasize my point, I must first admit I am not a hopeless romantic. When it comes to boyfriends, they are the ones who show affection, not me. It’s something I’ve worked hard to change though because I’ve seen how it has affected the men in my life in the past. For example: it’s a warm, sunny summer day and I want to be outside the entire day doing something fun. So I’m out with my friends for almost the entire day and when I finally look at my phone for the time, I have not only 5 next text messages, but 3 missed calls and a voicemail. Mother again? No. Apparently it was my 3 month anniversary. Am I the only one who does not see the significance? In fear of hearing what he had to say, I avoided calling my boyfriend back and just pretended my phone broke. He found out otherwise, but there were a few things I had to do in order to prove that I truly did care about us and was not in it just for a summer fling. Who knew I would relate second chances to high school relationships?

Coming from the other side, had I not believed in giving second chances myself, I might not have found such a great friend here in my presumptuous town of Grosse Pointe. I moved from Delaware at the beginning of high school so I was immediately alienated in the school. Many people made fun of my supposed accent (I still don’t hear it) and it really was the first time that I had so many people be so blunt about making fun of me. It was actually hurtful but I played it off cool and just allowed people to get to know my personality before I made a judgment call on them as they had done to me.

I have made it my own law to believe in second chances. Sheer stupidity can spring upon any of us at any time. But I believe it’s the mistakes people make and how they make up for it that make life all the more enjoyable.