I Believe in Balance

Megan - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

I believe in balance. This is a very hypocritical statement coming from me—I am one of the most anal people you could ever meet who has not actually been diagnosed with a case of OCD or some other neurotic problem and I seldom am able to take partial sides on an issue. Those who do not really know me would never suspect that I am crazy enough to do most of my homework on Friday nights no matter what time I get home. My close friends have always taunted me for beginning projects the day they are assigned or doing homework seconds after the teacher has passed it out, so I have learned to keep my mania under wraps from people who are just getting to know me.

I suppose I am just an anxious person. I suppose I just don’t like things hovering over my head, like the 100 words test on this Thursday for AP Lang that keeps popping through my thoughts. Although many students think this manic may be the cure to surviving high school with no missing homework assignments, they are drastically mistaken. It is very likely that because of this problem, I am less efficient and probably inducing a lot of unnecessary stress. But becoming an extreme procrastinator isn’t all too appealing either. For this reason, I want to stress the importance of personal balance.

Coaches are always saying, “Give it all you’ve got, I want you to eat, drink, live (insert sport here),” at least most of the volleyball coaches I’ve endured. Numerous teachers believe that honors and AP classes have to be treated similarly because, it is true, that in order to succeed or excel in them a lot of work is generally required. Honestly, I understand that I’m not going to go to the Olympics and I’ve never really decided what my favorite subject is, so why should I be forced to input all I have into one? Best of luck to those who know at age 16 what they want to do in life, but for the rest of us, let’s just stay balanced.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to be a balanced person who can understand that not giving my all is not the same as a lack of effort. Maybe I’ll have an epiphany in college when I’m swamped with papers, jobs, and going to the Laundromat, and I will finally follow this ideal. Until then, I feel just writing this I am closer to practicing more balance. After all, admitting your problem is the first step to recovery, right?