Importance of Family

Mary - Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Importance of Family

The same old cycle everyday. I go to school, come home, ten minutes of peace, then disaster strikes. Coming from a person so reserved and timid at school, all my thoughts seep, eventually bursting from the day’s events. What aggravates it all, are my siblings. There’s nothing wrong with them, individually. But when we are stuck together for the rest of the evening, insoluble situations form.

My relationship with all four of them can take pages to describe, so intricate, delicate, but harsh at the same time. Living in such a large family is like a paradox; one big love-hate relationship. I do not know how to change that status, because I hate not knowing to decide what I am feeling.

A typical situation; Rose, my sister, comes home; she failed her math test. I tell my mom, who begins a rant about her future, cleaning, friends, anything that has absolutely nothing to do with the poor grade. Then, somehow, my brother Kevin starts screaming at my brother Joe about stealing the controller, or not giving him his cookie. Combining into one, all this insignificant bickering amounts into running around the circular plan of the house, up the stairs, down the stairs, eventually ceasing for whatever reason. Bribes, blackmailing, kicking, screaming, insults, lies, roll into one argument. But of course, our parents never know.

Or, for instance, Rose and I get into about, 11 fights a day? Mostly about trivial matters, we can go from literally fighting to laughing. Something stupid like borrowing her brush, having loud music, or doing the dishes. That’s the thing: I hate not knowing whether I like them or not. My siblings can be the last worry on my mind, but then again, I would rather be with them than anyone else.

When I said “eventually ceasing”, I meant that our issues end strangely: merely sitting down, laughing about a stupid story from school, or eating Cheetos. At one time when someone feels so strongly about something, one’s feelings can turn in the complete opposite direction. Two strong feelings collide into a difficult, indescribable emotion. Bickering in the car about petty noises when attempting homework, then turning into a bellowing fight, can end with a coherent conversation. We laugh, a little too much. Whether it be from disturbing conversations, or something random, we can end up holding our stomachs, tears streaming down our faces with laughter. Family can bring a great, natural high, but also a horrible low from some of the harshest truths, shaping me up to the person I am today.

Those who sadly do not have the time to eat dinner together, because of business, or not wanting to, should try it. Just a bit of bonding can do the trick to create that clichéd, warm feeling. Yes, that indescribable feeling that overcomes any harsh ones from earlier. Conflicting though they are, being in a family that loves me is so worth it, no matter what the troubles from five minutes ago.

*Note-I have an older brother, too. He is in college, though, so most of the time he is not involved in this.