Love Never Fails

Holly - allendale, Michigan
Themes: hope, love

I refuse to someday be a statistic that is so much increasing day by day. I will not give up my hope, faith, and excitement about someday finding my other half to spend the rest of my life with. I believe in “until death do us part,” because I believe in the power of marriage.

I don’t know what a “normal” family is. My parents separated when I was around four, and as far back as I can remember I could never please one or the other at the same time. I worried about who to spend more time with, which step-parent to like better, who to sit next to at an awards banquet, which holiday was with who, if everyone could get along to move me into college, and the list continues on and on. I was always stressed out about making everyone happy, and rarely worried about what really made me happy. Even now that I am older, I am always feeling guilty about one of my parents. Up until now, I really didn’t have any hope. In high school, I had to even have two graduation open houses, and I started to wonder if I’d even have to have two weddings. As I am finally approaching my adulthood, I have watched both of my parents go through two painful divorces. Now that all step-parents are out of the picture, relief has filled my life with a long-awaited cordialness between my mom and dad, for the first time in almost 20 years. What I don’t understand is the irony of the fact that I am now an adult also, but they just now stopped acting like the immature children.

I figured that I just wouldn’t get married, so that I wouldn’t have to go through all that heartache someday. But, I decided that I should learn something from watching how divorce tears up people’s lives, and be that difference in my life with my children. Divorce is something that doesn’t seem like it is frowned upon anymore. I think that today marriage isn’t taken seriously, and going through a few divorces within your lifetime really isn’t that abnormal. As a child from divorced parents, I want to never put my children through the stress of being squeezed in the middle. I feel like I grew up at 5 years old, and never got to actually be a child. I realize that there are circumstances that even I would not be able to continue on with in a marriage. But, I think that if there’s still a chance to try, especially with children involved, you should give it all you’ve got. I love to watch my grandparents, who still hold hands happily in love after over fifty years. I look at them, and believe that marriage can work; after all, “Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”