This I Believe…The Teaching Environment

Ashleigh - Allendale, Michigan

Working at a learning center and taking classes to become a teacher, I have realized that teaching is not just a job that one chooses while they are deciding what else to do in life. Teaching is a chosen career. Those who choose to become educators should be completely invested in what they do. Teachers should strive to recognize each of their student’s potential and help the student realize it as well. This action will help build a student’s mind as well as their self-esteem. Part of helping a student with their potential is providing and overall environment that is encouraging and supportive.

I have always thought that a classroom should be a welcoming environment for both the students and the teacher. The room should not be a dreaded place in which everyone is uncomfortable because this is not conducive to learning. All of the students should have the right and the opportunity to be in a bully-free, tense-free environment. They deserve to be able to focus on what the teacher is saying rather than worrying who is going to make fun of them.

Teachers have a huge duty and responsibility to their students. They need to deliver a high quality education to each and every one of their students; whether a child is quick to comprehend information or slower to comprehend it does not matter. Each child deserves to learn. Teachers need to get students involved and excited in their own education. They can do this by incorporating a mixture of teacher-directed learning with hands on activities and discovery-based learning. These types of activities will not work if a student is not comfortable in being around his/her peers or teacher.

I also feel that teachers use their classrooms as a place where we set students up to be competent/capable in life. They may enter with prior knowledge and behaviors that they have learned, but they are being given a chance to educate themselves. Teachers need to be there to give students that little push that they will need every now and then.

I have observed classrooms where students are out of control and not much, if any at all, learning can take place because the students that are behaving in a suitable way do not know what to do. If teachers can provide a place where students can speak their minds in a respectful way and can actually learn then they have succeeded. They have made an environment conducive to learning and they have made students realize that learning can take place when you get along with your peers. I have also seen classes that are well organized, respectful, fun, and they get so much accomplished that way. I feel that this is due to an encouraging and supportive classroom environment. The classroom environment that teachers try to create is crucial to the type of class that they will have. With that being said, I know there is no such thing as a perfect class, but I feel when a teacher provides the student with a comfortable environment then they are well on their way of being a pretty good class with great potential to learn.