Friendly, Loyal Success

Paige - Bloomington, Illinois

Yeah, it’s nice to have a bunch of friends, you know the kind who sit by you at lunch and give you the nod when you walk into the party, but it’s even nicer to have a few good, loyal, trustworthy, always got your back friends. These friends, the bff’s, are stuck with you for the rest of your life, but don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a bad thing. I believe that a few loyal friends, or even just one, are the key to a successful life, and when I say successful life, I don’t just mean you are going to make millions of dollars. I mean you are actually going to be happy with your career, your family, your relationships, and even your stuff, or lack thereof.

You can spot a loyal friend at least a mile away, maybe even farther depending on their height. These guys keep your deep dark secrets secret. They also motivate you to keep moving, keep living, and keep doing. In time of major, disastrous crises, these people stick around till the bitter end, even the most bitter ones when you are knocked flat on your back with the wind knocked out of you. As you could probably infer, having people around like this makes your day just that much better.

These loyal friends, the ones that don’t leave you even when you treat them like crap, form a type of safety net that prevents you from totally crashing head first into the ground, and this prevention allows people to not only be successful, but feel successful. I believe I found the key to success, I found it in Will.

And I haven’t really figured out yet if it was free-will, or God’s-will, or destiny or whatever, but I found him. We both have changed; he went from a 5-2 8th grader to a 6 foot senior football star while I proudly shed the bangs, glasses, and braces, but the foundation of our relationship has maintained sturdy groundwork. I’m not going to lie to you all completely; yes there are those days that objects fly, doors slam, and words seem to hurt more than that knot in your gut, but there are also many more days of laughter, reassurance, inspiration, and just existence. Will’s existence has made me genuinely happy, and I don’t really know how else to put it. I believe that he, my loyal friend, buddy, pal, companion, or whatever you wish to call him, has made my life a success.