Everyone Should Have a Sister

Hope - Plainsboro, New Jersey

“A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.”

-Isadora James

I believe everyone should have a sister. My sister is my best friend; we share a special bond no one should be deprived of. My happiest and most memorable moments are shared with her, but we also heal and propel one another during any obstacle either of us may stumble across. Without my sister, I’d be lost.

Even though we quarrel, part of the fun is making up within five minutes later, laughing and smiling for everything is forgotten. People seem to take their loved ones for granted- I don’t. I appreciate each moment I have with my family, especially my sister, because I vaguely remember being an only child without her.

I was about five and a half when my younger sister was born. I had begged my parents for a sibling and was ecstatic when my mother became pregnant, as I immediately began praying for a newborn girl. I knew I would have a sister, though my family warned me to be prepared for anything. I didn’t listen in the least, for they were wrong anyway. I can recall visiting my parents and new sibling at the hospital, me clothed in a pink “I’m the Big Sister”, shirt, my pride about to burst like a pin to a balloon. My mother cradled the newest edition of our family as I held her tiny fist, beaming. My life shifted for the better from that day forward.

I am never bored growing up with my energetic sister. Wherever we go, she always breaks the ice, her competitive and outgoing personality desperate for attention. Laughter erupts from everyone who meets her; my sister could make the dullest event fun as easily as the heat from the sun melts the ice surrounding it. Nothing is awkward between us; our relationship grows stronger all the time. Despite our age difference, my sister and I can understand one another without words, a trait no other human could possibly share with us. Without a sister, I would never have sleepovers on school nights, or just laugh for the sake of laughing. There would be no one to share the joy of the fist snowfall, or Christmas morning, or any morning for that matter.

I know if everyone else in the world would be upset with me, I will always have one supportive fan. My sister will always be a shoulder to lean (or cry) on, as she has been her whole life, a forever friend who completes my family and I. I believe everyone should have this sacred and delicate privilege. I believe everyone should have a sister.