An Atheist’s God

Tim - 02540, Massachusetts

I am a proclaimed atheist, and I often like to discuss my disbelief in God. When I say this I am declaring that I do not, and will never partake in the belief that there is a supernatural being in the sky that possesses ultimate ability to create and control. This is the common image of God in my society. But what if God didn’t have to be this booming, white bearded old man that I am so skeptical of? What if God could be absolutely anything? I believe that everyone should have a separate, un-evangelized and very personal view of what God is. In considering the existence of this type of God, I can change my views completely and say that I do believe. I’ve never realized it, but God is the most influential part of my life; God brings me inspiration, emotion and fuel for living. I believe that music is my God.

Obviously my God is completely un-traditional. Perhaps the greatest difference is that my God didn’t create the universe, and doesn’t govern it. Another major difference is that my God doesn’t hide. Without an oscilloscope, it is invisible, but it still manages to share itself with billions of people each day in the form of auditory art. My God is well-elucidated and highly evolved. My God is always around me, whether it’s in my head, blasting from my speakers or resonating in my guitar. I enjoy worshipping my God, because all I have to do is jam.

I have been playing guitar for as long as I can remember. I have an indescribable connection with the instrument that is unlike anything else in my life, and it brings my God to an unprecedented of level of tangibility. Whenever I am upset, all I have to do is play guitar and my God is summoned to help mend my fractures of sorrow. Lucky for me, my God is also entertaining. If I need something to do, I open up my iTunes library; within lies 6.1 days worth of my God, arranged according to which human recorded it. Depending on what sentiment I want to feel, my God comes in numerous genres from which I can select.

In trying to comprehend the strange concept of faith, I have redesigned the meaning of the word God. The biggest problem I have with believing in a supreme deity is his blurry definition and the lack of proof of his existence. To me, God is a conceptual piece of clay just waiting to be molded. I believe that God is whatever you want it to be.