Finish the Race

Aaron - Boise, Idaho
Themes: work

What does it mean to quit? According to dictionary.com it means to stop trying, struggling, or the like; accept or acknowledge defeat. For many people, quitting is the easiest way out of things. That’s how I thought until I found my self stuck in a hole. Now I believe in always finishing the race.

In the young ages of my life I was always quitting things and making up excuses. As I grew older this trait disappeared. It was 5th grade when I had finally dug too far. I was 5’7” 195lbs and it wasn’t muscle weight. This affected me in many ways, both physically and mentally. That year, I decided to crack down and do everything I could to be fit. For me to achieve this goal I would have to go all the way and beyond.

So I asked myself “what do I do?” The crazy thing is, the first thing that came to my head was track. I couldn’t believe it, me a fat kid wanting to RUN! I asked my parents and they said they would love for me to join track and if I didn’t like it I could quit any time. I knew in my head that if I quit I would wind up right where I started.

That year I started one of my many races in life and joined the track team. For some crazy reason the coach put me on a sprint team and I actually liked it. From that day on running was my new best friend. I have done track for four years and I have never, not finished a race. Now I run every day and have lost 50 lbs. it’s up to you how many races you want to finish in your life. Some races will take you your whole life and teach you many new things, or you might have a short race that can be finished within a few weeks. No matter how long or short it is you will always know that you will never quit and can take any challenge that comes at you.

The neat thing about always finishing the race is that you will always try new things. Some new things you may not like and on the other hand you may love some. No matter what you did or didn’t like you will always be able to say that you tried something new. In your life you will experience both good and bad things. You should take everything head on and not even think of the QUIT word. With the new things you learned in your life race you will be prepared for any challenge that may come up in your life and will know how to handle them. Never say you can’t and quit, no matter what you want to do you should always go full out and Finish The Race with every ounce of energy you have.