I Believe in Breaking the Tape at the End of the Race

Christa - Boise, Idaho

Always break the Tape at the Finish

I believe in always breaking the tape at the end of the race, that’s just what you have to do to get things done.

I’ve been a runner for a few years now, and the one thing all coaches will tell you is to do your best the whole way through. As you progress through a race, or towards any goal, your best changes, slowly decreases, but continuing to maintain the effort that represents your best for the time being brings about its own obstacles. Overcoming these obstacles is what gains a person success.

There are always going to be obstacles that make it harder to reach any goal, but I believe in listening to that little voice in the back of your mind. That voice that tells you there is even the slightest chance you can make it. The voice that you would do anything to get rid of when you want to give up, but can’t, so you listen.

I did manage, somehow, to always finish things I started, though not always by my free will. Whether it was homework, a race, or even doing my chores, there’s always someone breathing over your shoulder waiting for you to finish or cheering you on.

Now some people think breaking the tape is mostly about pleasing the people that want you to succeed, but that’s not the half of it. When anyone starts something, no matter who they are, even if it’s something that’s not quite at the top of their priority list, there’s always a desire to finish and reach the goal. Not the desire to just be done with the whole thing and not have to worry about it, but the desire to have completed and accomplished your goal. Even in school when I would have a huge essay due the next day, typing in that last sentence and period just give you a great feeling of accomplishment. It’s the same in a race, even if you’re last place and everyone’s waiting for you to cross the finish, it’s a great feeling to know you overcame the challenge and made it to the end.

There’s nothing like that feeling when you have 100 yards to go so you kick and let out all you have left. That feeling you get as the finish line approaches, closer and closer. That feeling when you take your first step over the line and think your going to die from lack of oxygen. That feeling that you made it. Nothing can replace the feeling when you break the tape and finish the race.

Christa S