What High School Really Is

Jennifer - San Jose, California

High school is meant to be the greatest time of your life. Well, if that’s true, then life must not be as promising as Disney movies tend to depict. High school, for me, has meant an endless parade of stress, sleep-deprivation, and anxiety. It has called me to be an expert in the fields of science, history, math, and English, most within the same day. It is a place where numerous teachers delude themselves into thinking their student’s entire life is their 8th period English class, and therefore, the subject will come naturally to them. Of course, such teachers fail to recognize how such students do maintain social lives, extracurricular activities, and, oh yes, five to six other classes to worry about. But I, oh I mean such students, carry on and persist, despite this constant battle against ignorant teachers.

High school has failed to show me, in these last three years, why it is meant to be the greatest part of my life. It makes me wonder why society preaches such a saying, and why do we all comply into believing it. Do we all really peak at this age? Can all of our worth be summarized by who we are when we are sixteen? If that is true, then society is screwed.

I personally long to abandon the ideals of high school as soon as I can. I look forward to the day in which I can leave the evils of high school, from the categorization of people’s identity (“freaks,” “jocks,” “drama people,” ect.) to the overall pressure to succeed. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had an amazing experience. I have made friends that will last forever, experienced changes that have helped shape my identity, and learned ideologies that will support me in my future. But isn’t that all high school does for us? It teaches us ideas that we may (or may not) entail within us for the rest of our lives. It engages us in experiences that we will remember forever, whether for better or for worst. And ultimately, if you are lucky, it allows you to grow up with loving people that you are fortunate to know forever. That is what high school is meant to do. It provides you with the tools that you can take with you for the rest of your life: whether it is a philosophy, an experience, or a comrade. High school has definitely benefited me beyond its academic sustenance—but I refuse to say it is the “highlight” of my life. No, that’s reserved for whatever comes next.