Beautiful Little People

Anu - West Chester, Pennsylvania

I am a mother of two little children; my son is 4 and my daughter is 2. I was never crazy about children and so waited 10 years after being married, to have them. I have heard of heart-warming tales of mothers falling in love with their babies the minute they saw them. At the risk of sounding cold and callous, I will admit that I was not one of those women. I needed to spend time with my baby to get to know him before I fell in love with him. It did not take me very long to realize that Children are incredibly kind, generous, intelligent and pure. I believe in Children. I believe that they are precious gifts from God that deserve our respect and admiration.

We often don’t give Children enough credit; they are very perceptive of their environment. This became obvious to me one morning when I was baking blueberry muffins. I was blowing on my fingers while transferring the hot muffins to the rack as they were burning me. My then 14-month old son sensed the distress, came rushing to my rescue and picked up a spoon from a drawer (that he could barely reach) and handed it to me. I was deeply touched by this simple act of kindness. It became apparent to me that even though children appear to be engrossed in a toy, they are very much aware of the happenings around them.

In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, between paying bills, doing laundry, prepping meals, carting kids to school, we often lose the present moment; these mundane occurrences hijack our lives. My children remind me often to slow down, take a breath and smile; they show me that life can be simple and to live for today as I don’t know what’s in store for me tomorrow.

As a parent I owe it to my children to be a good mother. I wear a seat belt in my car, stop at the light when it turns amber, keep up with my annual doctor visits, eat healthy as often as I can and try to increase my chances of being alive for my children’s sake. Like any parent, I flounder at times and wonder if I am instilling the right values in them. If there is one thing that I am certain about then it is this: they know that they are loved because I tell them that every day. My 4-year old blithely responds to my I-love-you-s with a quick ‘Thank you’!

Children do not choose to be born; we bring them into this world and it is our responsibility and duty as parents and society to love, nurture and protect them. I watch my children sleep at night and I thank God for bringing them into my life. I believe that Children are like clean slates and they emulate what they see. As a parent I hope to do what’s right and moral because I believe that Children ought to have nothing less. Children are beautiful little people and this I believe!