Always Give Not Recieve

Rachel - Eagle, Idaho

Always Give Not Receive

I believe in going through my closet to give my old clothes to those who are less fortunate than me.

I’ve been taught since I was little to give my things I no longer need to those less fortunate than me. My mom has always said to me, “To whom much is given, much is expected.” My mom has been an excellent example to follow. Because she has donated her things and given back to the community her whole life. From when she lived in a small apartment in Queens to giving more now being more fortunate. Now she donates money to the Boise Rescue Mission and to the Woman and Children’s center in Boise, Idaho.

A past event that taught me to give back and really stuck with me when I was in seventh grade. As a present my room was getting redone with new bedding, lighting, etc. Although my present came at a price. I had to go through all my clothes and pick clothes that I would donate. Not only that I had to go through all the rest of my stuff and was given only one bin that I would keep them in. The rest were donated to the Woman and Children’s center in Boise, Idaho. Even though this experience was really hard for me to do it helped me to realize something. That is that I need to give back in the community and volunteer my time.

‘ In 2007 my mom met a woman named Megan Ronk. Although Megan has a degree in International Business, she decided to do public service work. Megan did this by agreeing to Governor Otter to be in charge of The Idaho Meth Project. My mom thought she would be a good role model for me to learn from. She told Megan that I would be happy to volunteer my time. At first I was frustrated that she did this without even asking me. But now I have been volunteering with The Idaho Meth Project for six months and I am liking what I have been doing to help teens in Idaho realize the dangers of Meth.

Those are just two experiences that taught me the importance of giving back. In the future I will try to apply this lesson to my life no matter where I live or what I do for a living. When I volunteer it makes me feel good.

I believe that you always need to give back in the community or volunteer. It gives a person a satisfaction and a feeling that can’t be described. This lesson has been taught to me through my life. I believe in going through my closet to give my old clothes to those who are less fortunate than me.