I Believe in Kung FU!

Josh - Piedmont, California

I believe in Kung Fu. I don’t know the first thing about it, but I really enjoy watching it, practicing it, and talking about it. This obsession has nothing to do with the desire to hurt others, but rather the love for the ancient tradition. Although I’ve never taken a class and don’t know any of the names of moves, I have spent countless hours mimicking Bruce Lee and the 36 Chambers of Shaolin movies.

Many times I have assaulted invisible people on the street, and I also know what it is like to be looked at as though I am crazy. Fortunately for me, the Kung Fu is worth it. I stay in great shape, and I also use it as a form of escapism. Sometimes life is just too monotonous for me with routines and schedules. Get up/ go to school/ brush your teeth/ make a sandwich for a snack, all happen daily, and then I guess every couple of weeks I might shower or rinse off. Kung Fu represents the spontaneity in my life which is much needed. Kung Fu is youth, which I can safely say I miss very much.

As a child all my friends and I needed was an imagination. Playing Jackie Chan vs. Godzilla vs. the Terminator vs. Stuart Little could be arranged in less than five minutes with our own set of rules. Nowadays, we’re constantly bored, trying to figure out what to do while killing time watching T.V. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but if you’re really happy, does it matter?

Everytime I lay a roundhouse to the jaw of my fifth grade teacher Mr. McClain in my room, I can’t help but sigh, and reminisce to the days of a kid with the whole world ahead of me. I know I am not an old man right now, but the more sophisticated I become, the less magic I find in everyday things. The more you have, the less you appreciate. They say once you figure out how a magic trick works, it loses its inspiring and well, magical quality. When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, as a 9 year old, I would have replied Bruce lee, a professional skateboarder, a scientist, Bradley Nowell of Sublime, or an astronaut/Dragon Hunter depending on my mood. Unfortunately now, I know that it is not possible to be all of these at the same time, and sometimes facing reality is not necessarily the best thing.

Imagination is more important than knowledge, and with Kung Fu I can just imagine myself in a different situation than I am know. Not that I am unhappy, but with choices come consequences. Just as in a fighting match, you have to think how the outcome could have been different if you threw a left hook instead of the right jab, and Kung Fu is a metaphor. Kung Fu is youth to me, and I only wish I could go back now and experience it all over again. I believe in having fun, and if pretending to train at the ancient school of the tiger warriors in ancient China brings joy to me, than why not?