Taking the Shot

Brian - Los Altos, California

Having played soccer since the age of four, the aspects of the game have become basic knowledge to me. Move to space, overlap, play back, communicate, play firm passes, run off the ball, pass instead of dribbling. Such facets of the game have become engrained in my memory, yet above all the most important aspect of soccer, and of my life, is to take the shot.

Now obviously it would be difficult to shoot from anywhere on the field. One must develop a solid foundation when the attack is young, and help it grow and move towards the goal, towards success. Share the ball, and move it around the field; keeping it solely on your own feet will cause the attack to break down. Keep your head up instead of staring down at the ball, and try to find the open goal.

Finally, when you have it, when the moment comes, take the shot. Do not hesitate, because hesitation leads to failure. Plant your left foot firmly next to the ball, set your eyes on the goal, use all the power you can, and shoot the ball.

No matter what, by taking the shot you will be successful. Even should you miss the frame completely, you will have at least tried and will have learned for the next time. Though you may hear sighs from your players and fans, and jeers from opponents, keep your head up instead of falling into self-pity or giving up. When another shot comes, you’ll score.

Because I believe that in life, one must always make an attempt for success, no matter if they fail. Should failure be the outcome, do not hang your head and give up; try again, because in the end persistence and focus on reaching your goals will pay off. Taking risks, setting yourself up for possible failure, will indeed result in success, whether on the first try or the twelfth.

Whether it’s playing soccer, asking that certain girl to a dance, interviewing for that unattainable job you’ve always wanted, or telling someone that you love them; whatever opportunity presents itself, take it.

Because by taking chances, one will not mourn missed opportunities; and while failure is disappointing for a moment, regret lasts forever.